“I read my eyes out and can't read half enough...the more one reads the more one sees we have to read.” John Adams

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Be a Queen

I just want to use this post to bring awareness to the fact that drag queen characters in musicals pretty much have really awesome songs. For you skeptics out there, let me assure you that it's not all like this.


Up  first is "We Are What We Are" from La Cage Aux Folles. If you love The Birdcage, starring Nathan Lane and Robin Williams,
We've been robbed!

then you will love La Cage Aux Folles.  It's the same story! But with more song and dance! What could be better!

We are what we are
and what we are is an illusion
we love how it feels 
putting on heels causing confusion

This musical is amazing. It has won 9 Tony Awards between it being originally on Broadway, and its revival. Tony Awards include Best Musical, Best Book, and Best Original Score, Best Revival, to name a few. Boom.


Second, a more serious number from Cabaret, "I Don't Care Much," starring Alan Cumming (INSERT INTENSE APPLAUSE).
Words sound false
when you coat's too thin
feet don't waltz 
when the roof caves in
That song is soooo beautifully done. 

Third, "Welcome to the 60's" from Hairspray. Tracy's mom isn't a drag queen as a character, but she is always played my a man in drag. ALWAYS. There is no exception. Here is the Edna, John Travolta style.
Hey Tracy, hey baby
look at me!
I'm the cutest chickie
that ya ever did see

HAHAHA John Travolta is so perfect.

This last song is "Stranger in this World" from Taboo. I don't know much about this one except for the fact that it's absolutely gorgeous. 

I'm turning my back on this life for as long as I can
someone make me a star 'cause I sure as hell can't be a man
I'm too fragile and clever you know
and this universe just leaves me cold

I can't believe I had never heard of this before yesterday. Sort of the more serious side of things. I must say, I completely love the costume.
IT'S BEAUTIFUL. I WANT.

Had something here about annie and oliver, but I took it down to add something even better at the end...

I hope I introduced you to some new things. 

Don't be a drag...
BE A QUEEN.

I love you.

I'M SO MAD I FORGOT THIS ONE IT'S AWESOME. "Expressing Yourself" from Billy Elliot.


What the hell is wrong with expressing yourself
This the best version of this song I have ever seen. Those kids are amazing.

This last video I must include. I found it on the side of youtube as I was looking up videos for this post. If you've gotten this far on this post, then you have no choice but to watch. You will go "WHAAAT?!?!" and then you will be ridiculously impressed. 

k bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment